Patrick Pollak

Antiquarian and Rare Books, Manuscripts, Images and
Related Items

Back


 Click on an image to enlarge it. Click an enlarged image to view the previous/next image. 

THOMAS, Reverend Vaughan.
Silver inktray with three containers and with engraved inscription : PRESENTED BY THE OXFORD BOARD OF HEALTH Nov. 1832 to the Revd. Vaughan Thomas Chairman - A testimony of gratitude for judicious exertions and indefatigable attention displayed during the prevalence of CHOLERA in this City. A. D. 1832.

This piece is solid silver with the London assay mark, the date-letter for the year, 1832, and the maker's mark for CHARLES FOX. It comprises a double-handled stand on four feet, decorated with swirling leaf and flower motifs around the edges, on the handles and on the feet. DIMENSIONS : c.30 cms. x 22.5 cms. not including handles; the tray has a central ink-well without the glass liner, and to each side a shallow rim to hold the cut glass ink and pounce containers [these each have a silver rim and cover]; the inscription is engraved into the raised surface of the tray on each side of the containers, and below, on one side, is an heraldic cartouche of a rampant lion within 3 moons - WEIGHT of tray alone : c.45.5 troy ounces. The containers are of thick, heavily incised glass, the pounce pot with a pierced cover [the weight of the silver covers of these two containers is not included]. [SUBJECT TO VALUE ADDED TAX AT 20% TO BUYERS WITHIN THE EU & UK].

Description:
The metal is in excellent condition; the containers are fastened to the tray with silver bolts and wing-nuts, now lacking one bolt and nut and one other wing-nut; the glass containers have the occasional small chip on a raised segment and a larger chip on one of the bases.

* REVEREND VAUGHAN THOMAS [1775-1858], Anglican clergyman, antiquary and philanthropist, of Birmingham, author of : Memorials of the Malignant Cholera in Oxford, MDCCCXXXII. [With plates.] Oxford : W. Baxter. 1835. pp. x. 48. He was chairman of the Oxford Board of Health, one of the Tax Commissioners for the University of Oxford and a prominent figure in Oxford social and political circles. Vaughan Thomas was born at Kingston-on-Thames in 1775 and had been appointed a Fellow of Corpus Christi College, Oxford and Vicar of Yarnton in 1803; he had also held the livings of Stoneleigh, Warwickshire from 1804 and Duntisbourne Rouse, Gloucestershire from 1811. He continued to live in Oxford, but resigned his fellowship in 1811 in order to marry his first wife Charlotte Williams. They had no children. It was Vaughan Thomas who prompted his friend Samuel Warneford to endow an asylum for the insane at Oxford, and served as chair of its management committee; and in 1832 he had been appointed chairman of the board of health formed at Oxford upon the outbreak of cholera. [see Dictionary of National Biography]. Vaughan Thomas's first wife Charlotte died at Holywell Lodge on 31 July 1843 and was buried in a vault in St Peter-in-the-East churchyard on 7 August. On 4 December 1845 at the British Embassy at Brussels, Catherine Johnston  became the second wife of Vaughan Thomas. The announcement in The Times on 10 December 1845 read as follows: On the 4th inst., at the British Embassy, Brussels, by the Rev. William Drury, the Rev. Vaughan Thomas, of Oxford, to Catherine, third daughter of the late Lieutenant-General G. Johnston, of Norbiton-hall, Surrey. By 1846 Catherine and Vaughan Thomas had moved to Magdalen Gate House at 60/61 High Street, overlooking Magdalen Bridge. The 1851 census shows Catherine and Vaughan living there with four servants (a butler, cook, footman, and housemaid). Vaughan Thomas died at Magdalen Gate House on 26 October 1858 at the age of 83 and on 2 November he was buried with his first wife in the churchyard of St Peter-in-the-East, and on 30 October his obituary appeared in Jackson's Oxford Journal. His effects came to under £18,000. Thomas was a prolific author and his principal work 'The Italian Biography of Sir Robert Dudley Knight' (Oxford, 1861) for which he began to collect materials in 1806. Numerous addresses and sermons which he delivered were printed and published and these include several relating to Birmingham hospitals and to the development of surgical and medical education in Birmingham. For example, he delivered an address delivered at the Birmingham Royal School of Medicine and Surgery at the third anniversary meeting August 29, 1838 (1838); and a sermon entitled 'Abound in this grace also' which was preached on Sunday August 17, 1845 ... in aid of the fund for erecting a fever ward at the Queen's Hospital (1845). Vaughan Thomas appears to have been a member of the Queen's College Council (formerly the Birmingham Royal School of Medicine and Surgery) in the 1840s. Clinical teaching of medical students had been undertaken on the wards at the Birmingham General Hospital since 1779. However, it was only in 1828 that a medical school in Birmingham was formally set up. The school had its origins in a successful series of lectures on anatomy which William Sands Cox (1802-1875), a surgeon, had delivered in Birmingham in 1825 and in April 1828 he took the decision to set up a complete Medical School In 1836, when King William IV became patron of the School it was renamed at the Birmingham Royal School of Medicine and Surgery and William Sands Cox was also elected a Fellow of the Royal Society. Cox, who was not on the staff of the General Hospital, found it difficult to obtain clinical teaching for his students and he decided to establish a hospital designed primarily for teaching. With financial support from Dr Samuel Warneford, rector of Bourton-on-the Water, the Queen's Hospital in Bath Row was opened in 1841. In 1843, a charter was obtained by which the Royal Medical School was renamed the Queen's College, Birmingham and certificates issued by the College were to be recognised by the University of London for admission to examination for medical degrees. An Act of Parliament of 1867 repealed this and supplementary charters of Queen's College and separated it from the Queen's Hospital which became an autonomous body. In 1892, the Medical Faculty of Queen's College became the Medical Faculty of Mason College which, in turn, became the University of Birmingham. The Vaughan Thomas collection of papers is in the National Archives and comprises manuscript and printed papers relating to the early history of Queen's Hospital and Queen's College (formerly known as the Birmingham Royal School of Medicine and Surgery) in Birmingham collected by Rev Vaughan Thomas. The collection includes letters to Vaughan Thomas from William Sands Cox, founder of the hospital and college and Rev Samuel Warneford, a benefactor of the hospital. It also includes printed reports, addresses, press-cuttings, prospectuses and other materials relating to both institutions. CHARLES FOX, Silversmith - Charles Fox, 'plate worker' active at 139 Old Street, Goswell Street. He was not apprenticed through the Goldsmiths' Company nor he was a freeman of the Company. Charles Fox registered a mark in 1801 in partnership with James Turner (at 3 Old Street) and a unique mark alone on 5 September 1804. This is the mark on the above ink tray. In 1822 he was succeeded by his son, Charles Fox II, who entered various marks in 1822, 1823 (4 marks) and 1838. His works shows consistently high quality and the rapid entry of marks suggests a fairly large establishment with varying marks used for different categories of work. Fox can be considered the last individualist plateworker before the debacle of Victorian mass production. CHOLERA IN OXFORD - the 1832 cholera epidemic was the first of three major such events in England, the later ones being in 1849 and 1854. These events have been well documented (see below) - for the 1832 epidemic, see Ormerod : 'The cholera appeared in England on Oct. 26, 1831, and reached Oxford in about eight months, on June 24, 1832. The last case of cholera occurred in Oxford Nov. 28, 1832, and the last case in England on December 31 of the same year. The disease prevailed here chiefly during the months of July, August, and September, the same period in which England suffered most. The number of cases in Oxford and St. Clement's, without St. Giles', amounted to one hundred and seventy-four, of which eighty-six died, and eighty-eight recovered; the number of cases in Oxford as compared with other towns of England, being, that of one hundred and twenty-six places, consisting of large towns or parts especially visited by cholera, about one hundred suffered more than Oxford, and only about twenty-five less.' SEE : Henry Wentworth Acland, Memoir on the cholera at Oxford in the year 1854, with considerations suggested by the epidemic (London: John Churchill, 1856) Available online here R.J. Morris, "Religion and medicine: The cholera pamphlets of Oxford, 1832, 1849, and 1854", Medical History 19 (1975), 256270 W.P. Ormerod, A few plain words about the cholera (Oxford: W. Baxter, 1848) W.P. Ormerod, On the sanatory [sic] condition of Oxford (Ashmolean Society, 1848) (Analysis of the 1832 outbreak, including a folded map showing the address of every victim) Oxford Board of Health Minute Book, 9 September 1832 Vaughan Thomas, Memorials of the malignant cholera in Oxford: MDCCCXXXII (Oxford: W. Baxter, 1835)

Date Published:

Stock No. 62208

Price: 6,000.00

Enquire