Patrick Pollak

Antiquarian and Rare Books, Manuscripts, Images and
Related Items

Back


 Click on an image to enlarge it. Click an enlarged image to view the previous/next image. 

[DOCUMENT] HAYWARDE, Sir Rowlande.
Vellum Indenture recording the lease of the Manor, LEIGHTON BUZZARD, Bedfordshire, between ' SIR ROWLANDE HAYWARDE knighte and Alderman of the Cittie of London' and FRANNCE BARNHAM of the Cittye of London Alderman and GEORGE BARNE of London Alderman and JOHN BARNE of London Haberdasher '

' This Indenture triptite made the Seaven and Twentith daie of Jannary the Eightenth Yere of the raigne of oure soveraigne Lady Elizabeth by the grace of god Quene of England Frannce and Irelande...'

Description:
2 vellum sheets - SIZE : c. 28 x 23 inches [c. 72 x 59 cms.] written in a beautiful Secretary hand, signed by Sir Rowland Hayward, George and John Barne, with their wax seals [now long disintegrated], usual folds and dusty at the edges, in very nice condition.

*This indenture is one of the three copies which would have been made, one for each party to the agreement [See Bedford County Archives inventory no. KK8 for another of these copies]. The Manor of Leighton Alias Grovebury was granted by John, Second Duke of Suffolk to Saint George's Chapel, Windsor in 1479, who held it until 1863 (with a break between 1649 and 1660 when, under The Commonwealth, deans and chapters were abolished) when it was conveyed to Colonel H. Hanmer. It remained in that family until acquired by J.T. Mills early in the 20th century. In the early 1920s a succession of Law of Property Acts abolished copyhold tenure leaving the Lord of the Manor nothing but an empty title. The Dean and Chapter leased the manor to Robert Christmas from 1566 to 1576, followed by Francis Barnham and George Barnes, aldermen of the City of London. By 1587 the lessee was Sir Christopher Hoddesden, High Sheriff of Bedfordshire in 1591/2. He was involved in a series of disputes over a right of warren on The Heath in Leighton Buzzard. On his death in 1610 his daughter Ursula, wife of Sir John Leigh became lessee. [BEDFORD COMMUNITY ARCHIVES]. SIR ROWLAND HAYWARD [c.1520-1593] - first son of George Hayward of Bridgnorth, Salop by Margaret, daughter of John Whitbrooke, educated at Bridgnorth Free School. He became Master of the Clothworkers' Co. 1559-60; merchant adventurer 1564; common councilman, London before 1560; auditor 1556-8, alderman 1560-93, sheriff 1563-4; Lord Mayor of London 1570-1 and 1591; Justice of the Peace at Montgomery, Shropshire from c.1573, Middlesex from c.1583. Governor of the Mineral and Battery Works 1560, Muscovy Co. 1567, 1568, 1569, 1574, 1577, 1580, 1584, 1587. President of Bridewell Hospital 1561; Auditor General of Hospitals 1566; President of St. Bartholomew's Hospital 1572-d [Hayward's tenure of office as president of St. Bartholomew's Hospital was long. The surgeons there dedicated to him and others the earliest extant edition of Vicary's Profitable Treatise of the Anatomy of Man's Body. SEE also MEDVEI & THORNTON The Royal Hospital of Saint Bartholomew, 1974, page 107, where he is erroneously referred to as Sir Robert Hayward]. Hayward helped, as late as 1593, to choose the site of a new plague hospital. He also served as commissioner of sewers in 1566; Chairman of Commission to reform Newgate 1574; Surveyor General of Hospitals 1580, Comptroller General 1581.2. He died from the plague in 1593 and was buried in the church of St. Alphage, London Wall - the monument to him erected there may still be seen. SIR GEORGE BARNE [c. 15321593] was a prominent merchant and public official in London during the reign of Elizabeth I. He was a Haberdasher, an Alderman of the London ward Bridge between 15741576, Tower between 15761583, Langbourn between 15831587, and Bassishaw between 1587-1593. He also served as Auditor of London in 1574, Sheriff of London between 15761577, Lord Mayor of London between 15861587, and was knighted by Lord Chamberlain in 1587. He was a Master of the Haberdashers' Company between 15861587, represented London in the Parliament between 15881589, and was President of St. Thomas' Hospital between 1592-1593. Barne was also the Governor of the Muscovy Company several times, and a founder of the Spanish Company, in 1577, and the Turkey Company. In 1580 he helped finance a voyage to discover a Northeast Passage, as his father had done decades before, and later supported the voyage of Edward Fenton in 1582 and John Davis's voyage in 1586, both of which sought to find the Northwest Passage. He was related to several families of the London oligarchy, had shares in the Company of Mineral and Battery Works, and was well connected, considered one of the most influential people of his times in London municipal affairs. John Stow dedicated his work "The Chronicles of England" to him. He died in London in 1593 and was buried at St. Edmunds. His father, also George, was one of the first four Consuls of the Company of Merchant Adventurers to New Lands, in which he, along with Sebastian Cabot, is credited for laying the business foundation of future English prosperity, discovery, commerce, and colonization of the future United States. JOHN BARNE, brother of the above George, Haberdasher and Alderman of the City of London.

Date Published: 1576.

Stock No. 59810

Price: 2,350.00

Enquire